Sunday, July 15, 2012

Tools of the trade


I thought I would post up a few pictures of (most of)  my hand tools that I use working on this car, and many others.  I can almost remember when I bought each one and why.  I'm not that vain, I was just cleaning out my toolbox and I decided to take a picture..

The newest addition is a Craftsman 36mm, 1/2" drive socket for taking off wheel nuts and the gland nut.  I also picked up a new 3/8" drive ratchet.  I thought I had lost my normal one, but held out hope that I would find it so I didn't want a duplicate just yet.  This one is articulated and quite long.  We'll see how well it works.

I, of course, found my normal 3/8" ratchet the next day.

Looking through the table you can see several things.  I like the Craftsman quick release teardrop ratchets, from 1/4 to 1/2" drive.  I also have the accompanying sockets, standard depth.  I don't really have any deep sockets and I haven't noticed that I'm missing anything.  I also have a mostly complete set of metric wrenches  - lost a few over the years.  I have a 3/8" set of metric hex bits.  These are great to have instead of normal Allen wrenches.  

You can also see pullers for tie rods and ball joints, hammers, and a bunch of Torx and Triple square bits.  These things are annoying to keep up with but definitely useful on European cars.  One thing I do is try and keep my tools clean and more or less organized.  I hate picking up a dirty wrench.

No comments:

Post a Comment