Saturday, July 14, 2012

Brake work

Well, I decided to take the front brakes apart because the pedal was entirely too soft.  I wanted to see what sort of shape the shoes and brake hardware were in.

Good news is that the shoes have plenty of material on them.  The wheel cylinders don't leak; however I will probably replace them since I have the brake drums off.  I would like to turn the drums regardless since they looked a little rough on the inside.


The stupid star nuts, aka brake adjusters, were really well stuck.  There was no way to adjust them.  I ended up pounding them out with a drift.

I did an inspection on the ball joints and tie rod ends.  They both seemed solid.  The strut mounts weren't in perfect shape but I will probably put some other things ahead of it.



I just ordered some new star-nuts and man they're not cheap.  I will make sure to put anti-seize on the new ones!

I left the axle stubs covered in plastic bags since I will be unable to finish putting it together.  The new parts are ordered but of course will take a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment