Friday, July 6, 2012

Oil Change No. 1

It's not Texas Tea

Well, this is about the only thing an antifreeze jug can be used for on a Beetle.  Yes, I cut a whole in the middle of the jug to use it as a drain pan.  It has a better seal than any of those black plastic pan-jug setups I've owned over the years.
You can see the engine better in the two pictures below.  The air cleaner is totally crooked.  It seems broken.  There is also a free pair of vice-grips.  It looks to be holding the EGR pipe on.


I did not remove or replace the strainer as I could not find one locally.  I did want to get the oil itself changed.  It was quite black.  I'll change it again shortly when my strainer comes in and I can replace it.

Short term goals

Some short-term goals for the Super are:
  1. Assess the brakes, replace parts as needed.
  2. Clean it up, inside and out
  3. Repair the generator.  Currently the battery only reads 12.7v while running, so I think the generator is not charging the battery.  I may be able to get away with just brushes but I am not hopeful.  The commutator looks pretty worn.
  4. Adjust the valves, replace plugs, set ignition timing
  5. Evaluate fuel system, add another filter
  6. Go through the front suspension
  7. Go through the rear suspension
  8. Get familiar with everything
I also need to find my 3/8" drive ratchet!  I am doing everything with a speeder wrench and it's a little bulky.

No comments:

Post a Comment